Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 83004169
Historic Name BANK OF GAGE
Description of Significance THE BANK OF GAGE IS A TWO-STORY TWO PART COMMERCIAL BLOCK BRICK BUILDING BUILT IN 1901. THE BANK ENTRANCE WAS LOCATED ON A CANTED CORNER, ACCENTED BY A LARGE IONIC COLUMN. IN ADDITION TO THE BANK, THE BUILDING WAS DESIGNED WITH A SECOND STOREFRONT, AS WELL AS OFFICE OR OTHER SPACE ON THE SECOND FLOOR. THE FIRST FLOOR STOREFRONTS HAVE BEEN HIGHLY ALTERED, BUT THE SECOND FLOOR REMAINS INTACT, WITH ORIGINAL WINDOWS. THE BANK OF GAGE SERVED AS THE CENTRAL FINANCIAL INSTITUTION FOR ELLIS COUNTY DURING EARLY STATEHOOD DAYS. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 10/7/83.
Current Name SAME
Address 18 MAIN STREET
City GAGE
County ELLIS
Lot 1 & 3
Block 4
Current Section 3
Township 21N
Range 24
Type BUILDING
Historic Function COMMERCE/TRADE: FINANCIAL INSTITUTION
Current Function DOMESTIC: MULTIPLE DWELLING; SOCIAL: COMMUNITY CENTER
Area Signficance 1 COMMERCE
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared CA 1983
Year Built 1901
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder MCMANNIS, S.A. - BUILDER
Architectural Style COMMERCIAL
Roof Material OTHER: TAR
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material WOOD
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details TWO-STORY BRICK BUILDING WITH A STONE BALUSTRADE ATOP THE CORNICE. PAIRED LIMESTONE PILASTERS FLANK THE ENTRY.
Condition FAIR
Comments
Restricted N